Yahoo! player or right click HERE to download | Launch pop-up player
Four-time Emmy winner Joe Toplyn joins Art. Toplyn has been a writer for Late Night with David Letterman, head writer and producer for The Late Show with David Letterman, and co-head writer and producer for The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. He has now authored a book called Comedy Writing for Late-Night TV.
The comedy writing legend candidly answers questions such as:
- What was it like creating revolutionary TV in the early days of Late Night with David Letterman?
- Did the "GE Handshake" bit really end Letterman's chances of getting The Tonight Show?
- What famous Late Night bit nearly suffocated a fellow writer?
- How did Jay Leno turn the tables to become the new king of late night?
- Is the late night talk show obsolete in the Internet age?
Mr. Toplyn also discusses his whirlwind months as head writer for the short-lived but infamous The Chevy Chase Show, and gives a few tips on how YOU can write funny! 1 hr. 24 mins.
Art's comments: "I hope there's a section in Mr. Toplyn's book about how to ask a question without lots of stammering. I need to read it. You should buy it, too, because this guy let me talk his ear off for two hours. In the end I think the key takeaway from this show is: Carbon dioxide is heavier than air. Now, won't you please enjoy a hot towel?"
Joe Toplyn links:
- Comedy Writing for Late-Night TV on Amazon
- Joe Toplyn.com
- Toplyn's résumé on IMDB.com
- The PIT class sign up
Relevant video links: